Eureka & Palisade Railroad No. 4
Eureka & Palisade Railroad No. 4, the “Eureka,” is a 4-4-0 type narrow gauge steam locomotive built in 1875. It served the rail line linking the Nevada towns of Eureka and Palisade until 1896, when it was sold to the Sierra Nevada Wood & Lumber Company and operated northeast of Truckee, California until 1938. The locomotive then starred in many Hollywood movies including The Shootist and The Great Train Robbery until it was retired from entertainment work in 1976. It was displayed at the Old Vegas hotel and casino were it stood on display until it was burned in a fire in 1985. It was lovingly restored to operation by Daniel Markoff soon thereafter and is currently based near North Las Vegas, Nevada.